The M.P.H. degree in the School of Public Health gives you a solid understanding of the fundamentals of public health through immersion in its core disciplines, emphasizing practice, policy, and community engagement. The REEI M.A. allows you to focus on public health in relation to Russia and Eastern Europe. This dual degree prepares you for a career as a public health professional and leader—in government, business, industry, higher education, non-profit organizations, or public and private healthcare settings.
M.A. & M.P.H.
Use your Graduate Academic Bulletin
Students pursuing a graduate degree in the Russian and East European Institute should use the University Graduate School Academic Bulletin.
Official requirements for our dual degree in REEI and Public Health (REEI M.A./M.P.H.) can be found by clicking on the Bulletin below:
For official degree requirements, you must consult with the Graduate School Bulletin. The information below is not the official record.
Required courses (6 credits)
- REEI R600 Pro-seminar in REEI Area Studies (3 cr.)
- REEI R601 Interdisciplinary Colloquium in REEI (3 cr.)
Area studies (12 credits)
Four courses (3 credits each) from area studies offering, one each from:
- Social Science
Courses in the concentration (10 credits)
10 credit hours in the area of concentration, with at least 2 credit hours in The College of Arts and Sciences: Public Health Research
Suggested courses include:
- HPER-C 589 Social and Behavioral Determinants of Health (3 credits)
- HPER-C 602 Intervention Design (3 credits)
- HPER-C 650 Culminating Experience (2 credits)
- HPER-C 644 Field Experience in Public Health (5 credits) (Prerequisite: 3.0 GPA)
M.A. essay & examination
REEI and the University Graduate School have strict guidelines for the submission, defense, and acceptance of the M.A. Essay. Students must comply with these guidelines and timeline when preparing to defend their essay. A timeline for student requirements follows.
REEI students are expected to demonstrate through oral examination at least an intermediate-mid (ACTFL scale) oral competency in an approved area language. Your proficiency is measured through a conversational exam on a variety of topics, including but not limited to home, school, history, current events, and your research.
For more information about the language proficiency exam, please contact the REEI Student Services Coordinator.
29 credit hours of graduate courses
The M.P.H. degree offers seven areas of concentration. Students work with more than 50 faculty members through extensive coursework and mentored outside-of-the-classroom practical applications. They are given customized opportunities to meet their individual goals.
- Courses must be area-related and must be passed with a minimum of a B average.
- Your essay committee should consist of both REEI and HPER professors.
- At least 21 credit hours must be taken in the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Courses should be selected in consultation with the REEI academic advisor.