The Russian and East European Institute and The Media School jointly offer a three-year program. Students earn a M.A. in REEI and a M.S. in Media with a Journalism Concentration, giving them a depth of information about Russian and Eastern Europe while preparing them for a media career with a focus on journalism.
M.A. & M.S. Media Studies.
Use your Graduate Academic Bulletin
Students pursuing a graduate degree in Russian and East European Institute should use the University Graduate School Academic Bulletin.
Official requirements for our M.A./M.S. Media Studies. the degree can be found by clicking on the Bulletin below:
For official degree requirements, you must consult with the Graduate School Bulletin. The information below is not the official record.
Required courses (6 credits)
- REEI R-600 Proseminar in REEI Area Studies (3 credits)
- REEI R-601 Interdisciplinary Colloquium in REEI (3 credits)
Area Studies (12 credits)
4 courses (3 credits each) from an area studies offering, with one each from these distributions:
- Social Science
Courses in the concentration (6 credits)
- Two courses in the area of concentration (3 cr. each): International Reporting
M.A. essay & examination
REEI and the University Graduate School have strict guidelines for the submission, defense, and acceptance of the M.A. Essay. Students must comply with these guidelines and timeline when preparing to defend their essay. A timeline for student requirements follows.
REEI students are expected to demonstrate through oral examination at least an intermediate-mid (ACTFL scale) oral competency in an approved area language. Your proficiency is measured through a conversational exam on a variety of topics, including but not limited to home, school, history, current events, and your research.
For more information about the language proficiency exam, please contact the REEI Student Services Coordinator.
M.S. Media Studies requirements
The Master of Science in Media with Journalism Concentration requires 27 to 28 credit hours of graduate courses.
- Courses must be passed with a minimum of a B average and must be area-related.
- Essay committee should consist of REEI and Journalism professors.
- At least 21 credit hours must be taken in the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Courses should be selected in consultation with the REEI Student Services Coordinator.