The mid-career professional subplan is geared towards professionals looking to advance their careers. Examples include foreign area officers, State Department officials, and other internationally focused professionals in the private and nonprofit sectors. Applicants may be asked to provide REEI with a statement describing their career goals.
Mid-Career Professional M.A. Track
Use your Graduate Academic Bulletin
Students pursuing a graduate degree in the Russian and East European Institute should use the University Graduate School Academic Bulletin.
Official requirements for our M.A. degree can be found by clicking on the Bulletin below:
For official degree requirements, you must consult with the Graduate School Bulletin. The information below is not the official record.
REEI R600 Pro-seminar in REEI Area Studies (3 credits)
Area studies (at least 12 credits)
4 courses (3 credits each) from the area studies offerings, one each from:
- Social Science
Courses in the concentration (9 credits)
- At least 9 credits and must include REEI-R601)
- Submission of written work and culminating presentation
M.A. culminating presentation
For the Mid-Career Professional Track, a Master's essay is not required, but students will submit two pieces of work, totaling 25-30 pages in length, to a committee of REEI affiliated professors to review. They will also make a presentation on their research to an appropriate venue, including but not limited to REEI-R600, REEI-R601, etc.
REEI students are expected to demonstrate through oral examination at least an intermediate oral competency in an approved area language. Your proficiency is measured through a conversational exam on a variety of topics, including but not limited to home, school, history, current events, and your research.
For more information about the language proficiency exam, please contact the REEI academic advisor.
- Courses must be passed with a minimum of a B average and must be area-related.
- Language courses must be: 1) at an appropriate level; 2) graduate level; and 3) relevant to the area of concentration.
- If 6 cr. of language courses are not taken towards the degree, additional courses in the area of concentration are required.
- Courses should be selected in consultation with the REEI academic advisor.