REEI and the IU Maurer School of Law offer a dual degree consisting of a REEI M.A. and the Doctor of Jurisprudence (J.D.) degree. The M.A. gives you a depth of focus in relation to Russia and Eastern Europe, while the J.D. prepares you for a career practicing law.
M.A. & J.D.
Use your Graduate Academic Bulletin
Students pursuing a graduate degree in the Russian and East European Institute should use the University Graduate School Academic Bulletin.
Official requirements for our dual degree in REEI and Doctor of Jurisprudence - (M.A./J.D.) can be found by clicking on the Bulletin below:
For official degree requirements, you must consult with the Graduate School Bulletin. The information below is not the official record.
- 79 credit hours in law (including all degree requirements)
- 27 credit hours in Russian and East European Studies courses
- 20 credit hours in the College of Arts and Sciences
- Oral proficiency in Russian or other area language
- M.A. essay and examination
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0
Required courses (6 credits)
- REEI R600 Pro-seminar in REEI Area Studies (3 credits)
- REEI R601 Interdisciplinary Colloquium in REEI (3 credits)
Area studies (12 credits)
Four courses (3 credits each) from area studies offering, one each from:
- Social Science
Courses in the concentration (9 credits)
- Three courses (3 cr. each) in the area of concentration: International Law.
M.A. essay & examination
REEI and the University Graduate School have strict guidelines for the submission, defense, and acceptance of the M.A. Essay. Students must comply with these guidelines and timeline when preparing to defend their essay. A timeline for student requirements follows.
REEI students are expected to demonstrate through oral examination at least an intermediate oral competency in an approved area language. Your proficiency is measured through a conversational exam on a variety of topics, including but not limited to home, school, history, current events, and your research.
For more information about the language proficiency exam, please contact the REEI academic advisor.
79 credit hours of graduate courses.
- Courses must be passed with a minimum of a B average and must be area-related. Essay committee should consist of REEI and Law professors.
- At least 21 credit hours must be taken in the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Courses should be selected in consultation with the REEI Academic Advisor.