FAQ Application & admissions process
- How do I apply?
With the exception of the application fee, all materials should be sent directly to HLS Graduate Administrative Services. A complete application file consists of the following:
- Graduate School Application for Admission and Financial Aid.
- Statement of Purpose (300-500 words) describing your interests and aspirations.
- Three letters of recommendation (forms supplied, but not required).
- One official transcript from each college or university previously attended.
- Official copy (sent electronically) of the Graduate Record Examination General Test. (You may submit a photocopy with your application to ensure that your file is completed in time.)
- Application fee of $70.00 paid by credit card online.
- Does REEI have a language requirement for admissions?
It depends on whether you plan to study Russian or another East European language while at IU. If you choose to pursue Russian as your language of proficiency and your research interest is primarily focused on Russia/Russian-language sources, then you will need to have the equivalent to two years of college study in the Russian language before starting our program.
If you do not have two years of college study in the Russian language, but can demonstrate equivalent proficiency or outline a plan to show how you will reach such proficiency before entering our program (including enrolling in IU's Summer Language Workshop), you will be eligible to apply.
If you plan to pursue a language other than Russian as your language of proficiency and your research interest is not dependent on Russian language sources, there is no expected incoming proficiency. You may apply with no previous study of your selected language.
- Do international students follow the same application procedure?
No. International students must apply to the International Admissions office. The deadline for international applications is December 1. For more details and application information contact International Admissions at email@example.com or (812) 855-9086.
- Where do I send my materials?
You are able to submit many of your materials, such as your personal statement, within the electronic application system. If you need to send materials separately, HLS Graduate Administrative Services will accept them via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and our mailing address:
HLS Graduate Administrative Services
Global and International Studies Building
355 North Jordan Ave.
Bloomington, IN 47405-1105