FAQ Application & admissions process
- How do I apply?
With the exception of the application fee, all materials should be sent directly to HLS Graduate Administrative Services. A complete application file consists of the following:
- Graduate School Application for Admission and Financial Aid.
- Statement of Purpose (300-500 words) describing your interests and aspirations.
- Three letters of recommendation (forms supplied, but not required).
- One official transcript from each college or university previously attended.
- Official copy (sent electronically) of the Graduate Record Examination General Test. (You may submit a photocopy with your application to ensure that your file is completed in time.)
- Application fee of $70.00 paid by credit card online.
- Does REEI have a language requirement for admissions?
There is no formal language requirement for applying to the program, but most successful applicants will have completed at least two years of coursework in Russian or another East European language or will have equivalent experience. One of the degree requirements for the MA is that students achieve an ACTFL OPI exam score of Intermediate Mid or better in their primary foreign research language. Applicants who do not already have strong language skills should discuss in their application their plans for acquiring the required proficiency before the end of their course of study at REEI (i.e. intensive summer language study at the IU Language Workshop, continuous language study during academic coursework, and/or other).
- Do international students follow the same application procedure?
No. International students must apply to the International Admissions office. The deadline for international applications is December 1. For more details and application information contact International Admissions at email@example.com or (812) 855-9086.
- Where do I send my materials?
You are able to submit many of your materials, such as your personal statement, within the electronic application system. If you need to send materials separately, HLS Graduate Administrative Services will accept them via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and our mailing address:
HLS Graduate Administrative Services
Global and International Studies Building
355 North Eagleson Ave.
Bloomington, IN 47405-1105